Thursday, June 30, 2011

Bike Ride to Camps Bay

One thing I have learned from traveling is that every city has different neighborhoods with different cultures and lifestyles,  inevitably everyone will find one to fit into if they look hard enough… I found mine in Cape Town J
Jameelah, Rosa and I rented bikes for the afternoon (its was only 100 rand – 16USD!) and rode our bikes around Lions Head into and area of Cape Town know as Camps Bay. Camps Bay was the first place in South Africa where I did not stick out like a sore thumb! It was a absolutely beautiful area, with amazing beaches and even more awesome – yet modest in comparison to American – homes.

The house on the right is for sale, it overlooks the ocean (we were ridding right on the beach)... Guess How much?? 2.2Million Rand = 345,000USD (if my math is right - 1USd =6.7Rand)
This was one of my favorite homes, I feel like this is similar to what I will see in the Greek Islands.

The beaches were great, white sand sheltered between the boulders that made up the shoreline. Although the water is very cold right now, this was the first place I saw surfers – in full 7mil wetsuits – going out to catch a wave.  There were picnic benches nestled into the trees in the backs of the beach where many people were enjoying dinner and wine. *it would have been smart to take a picture... maybe I should go back ;) )
Across the street from the beach, there were beach front cafes and lounges and many local shops.  The restaurants here are the relatively expensive in comparison to local standards, so I did not indulge  -although depending on my monetary situation near the end of the trip I may be going back!
Not sure what these little creatures on the side of the roade were, but we were told they are in the rabbit family. They had two sharp teeth and honestly looked rather rabid.

Salt water swimming pool overlooking the ocean! It looked so awesome in person... too bad its not heated or else I would have taekn a swim


Just for perspective, ths is Camps Bay from Lions Head - I live in Sea Point which is to the right of the picture,