Friday, June 3, 2011

Let the fun begin (kinda!)

Ok, so here goes my first attempt at blogging – I promise nothing, except a lot of misspellings, occasional rants, some slightly insane stories, and LOTS of pretty pictures J Because my little adventure is rather confusing with all of the stops I am making in order to maximize flight deals, I figure I should post my itinerary, which should work better than the child ankle monitor that was proposed so I don’t get kidnapped.
FLIGHTS
6/4 – 6/5              BMI British Midland        BD4478                 ORD-LHR                              4:18PM-5:55AM
6/5                         BMI British Midland        BD129                   LHR-DUB                              4:00PM- 5:20 PM
6/6                         Eithad Airways                  42                           DUB – AUH                         9:20AM-7:50PM
6/6                         Eithad Airways                  602                         AUH- JBERG                       10:35PM-4:55AM
6/7                         Eithad Airways                  602                         JBERG-CPT                          6:10AM-830AM
7/16                       Qatar Airlines                    583                         CPT-Jberg                            6:55PM-9:05PM
7/16 – 7/17         Qatar Airlines                    583                         Jerg – Doha, Qatar          10:05PM-7:15AM
7/17                       Qatar Airlines                    472                         Doha- Athens                    8:20AM  - 1:00PM
Need flight from Athens to London on 7/31
Need flight from Athens to Dublin on morning of 8/3 or night of 8/2
8/11                       BMI British Midland        BD132                   DUB-LHR                              8:40PM-10:00PM
8/12                       BMI British Midland        BD129                   LHR-ORD                              7:55AM- 10:08AM

For those of you following along that means in the 75 days I will be in: London, Dublin, Abu Dhabi, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Doha (Qatar – I plan on checking on that cloud they are making for the world cup!), and Athens… this list ould expand pending booking a flight back to Dublin from Athens… Gotta Keep my eyes open for a good deal!
As far as “housing” is concerned, I am really being forced to slum it, especially in Cape Town while staying with my study abroad program. If you want to see how bad it is, simply enter the address into googlemaps.com  - I HIGHLY encourage all of you to do this so you can see this trip isn’t all beautiful scenery and that I really will be putting my full attention into my classes.
LODGING
6/5 – Bewleys Hotel Dublin Airport
                Baskin Lane, Swords, Dublin, Ireland
6/6 – will be en route to Cape Town
6/-7 – Don Beach Road Hotel
                249 Beach Road Seapoint, Cape Town
6/8- 7/17 –:  313 Beach Road, Sea Point Cape Town
7/17 – 7/19: Hotel Central  - Athens (http://www.centralhotel.gr/index.php)
7/19 – 7/22:  Hotel Grotta - Naxos (http://www.hotelgrotta.gr/en/index.html)
7/22-7/26 : Hotel Portiani – Milos (http://www.hotelportiani.gr/en/index.html)
7/26 – 7/30:Hotel Boulis – Sifnos (http://hotelboulis.com/location/index.htm)
7/30 – Hotel Central - Athens
 7/31 – 8/2 or 8/3 london

8/2 or 8/3 – Ireland on My own – DIVING

8/5 – 8/11 – Krissy arrives and we wing it, traveling Ireland stopping wherever our little hearts – or the coolest looking pub – tell us too!!

If anyone ever needs help planning a trip, while spending the least amount of money possible, - DON’T ASK! I can’t wait for the trip to start, but I also can’t tell you how long it took me to work out the details so it was affordable. I got all of my flights for under $1,200, and all of the lodging, besides Cape Town w/ Howard, has cost me less than $1,000… the key is searching for all of the different options out there and being patient – it is also key to consume a few sodas and finally just press the select button so you are forced to do something!

OK, I am pretty sure most of you have not made it this far, but I will stop for those of you that have. I will try my darndest to make the rest of the posts a little more entertaining! Time to finish packing!

BON VOYAGE! (or do you only say that when you are going on a cruise? Salud… isn’t that Irish, or is that Italian…)