Saturday, June 18, 2011

Here Sharkey Sharkey Sharkey...

Today was, um how do I say this, AWESOME! I got to make friends with 5 great white sharks, one adorably resilient baby seal, and a whale! I don’t think word will do justice, nor will pictures, but I will let the pictures try to do most of the talking! PS the internet cafĂ© is getting crazy today, a old man just ran out tried to pick a fight with some kids who were singing, apparently it was a song that was offensive to him? Wow. Ok, on to the sharks! Oh yeah, I also uploaded a video to YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ATzLE5vQ4 it is rather shakey becuase the darn thing and his buddy decided to swim around and bump the cage from the back and far side, jerks ;)
They used a massive tunafish head for bait, as well as tossing "chum" (unused fish parts) into the water.
These pix dont really illustrate how big they were. They were around 3-4.5 meters = 9 - 13ft.

He was such a little showoff, doing flips spins and turns for us... I guess it was his way of thanking up for protecting him from the sharks. I was rather sad they wouldnt let me take him home. He was very illusive thou, he made sure he was always by the tail of the shark not his mouth. He even got fistey sometimes and bit the sharks fins! I wanted to bring him home to be friends with Brewer but they wouldn't let me :(
Totally does not put it into perspectve about how big it was...
Rub my belly, please!


Then he decided to join me in the cage, wasnt that nice of him. I tossed one of hte guys from the boat my camera and he snapped this shot.
And then when he tried to get one of me, he wanted to be in the picture too, giving me kisses!
Why hello Sharkey!
Check ya later bait...
They did not like it when I got out, they wanted to play some more apparently!


See ya later, for now, sharkeys! Hopefully more tomororw, with breaching if the weather holds up!


If the weather holds up I am scheduled to have another dive tomorrow, in a differnt part of the Ocean where the sharks are known for breaching (aka jumping!). If the weather is bad I suppose I will jsut have to go on a wine tour instead :)