Friday, June 17, 2011

Waterfront, THE PRESIDENT and Sunset

The past few days have been a continued adventure and discovery of Cape Town. On Monday (I am trying to get my days straight, I could very well be wrong) Jameelah and I went to the Waterfront, which is a upscale area that was created for tourists (and Cape Towinans) to go during the World Cup. There is a big indoor shopping mall with upscale American Stores (and prices!) as well as an outdoor area right on the water that has shops, restaurants, boat tours and yet again another Ferris wheel (I just can’t get away from them!). Jameelah and I ate at a place called Quay Four which is right on the water,  and the only place I have found so far to get seafood! There is a live band that plays every night, and as we found out it is American Acoustic Rock so it was right up my alley!
What  I really  want to know is how the heck he got up there...



On Tuesday the group got to do a tour of Parliament. The tour started with a video showing us the reasoning behind that colors and design of the RSA flag (which was redone after the overthrow of Apartheid) as well as the Country Seal. It was rather interesting because I don’t know anything behind why the US Flag and Seal are they way that they are. After the video, the Minister of Education spoke to us about the education system in RSA and how they are working in transform the conditions to be equal across the board. There are still 17 “mud schools”, which ae exactly what they sound, schools made out of mud. These schools do not have bathrooms or any type of plumbing/electricity and are literally falling down. Because resources are being spent on redoing these schools it is hard to keep teachers and programs in place because the funding is so sparse. *My wonderful, off his rocker Proff that I had previously mentioned decided to take this opportunity to go on a 10 min (of our total 45 with the Minister) to go off on a tangent about his thesis. I swear I have never met someone who likes to hear their own voice more than he has.*
After the Minister was done speaking we were taken on a short tour of Parliament and had Lunch in one of the smaller court rooms. *Ah, wait time for another story of my Favorite Proff, this may be my favorite story so far!* When I got into the room, I saw a open seat so I asked everyone around if anyone was sitting there, and everyone replied no so I took a seat. Well then Prof. X *yep, that is what I will call him going forward* walked in and walked over to me and stood there for a few seconds than said to me “Are you sitting there” and I said  “well, uh, Yes.” And he just stood there, so I said “Um, do you want to sit here?” and he said “yes, I think I do.” So I proceeded to stand up while he took my seat. I was the ONLY person standing, it was really uncomfortable as everyone sat down eating I just stood there with my plate. When he was done eating he looked back and saw me standing (it was kidna hard to miss!) and said “oh Katie, there is a seat over there.” I replied “someone is sitting there, they just got up to get more food.” He said “did you ask for more chairs?” (In my head I’m saying, nope I just wanted to stand here in 3 inch heals trying to eat with one hand while holding my water in the other, sticking out like a sore thumb) I replied “yes, they told me they did not have anymore chairs but they brought up enough for each student to have a seat.” (mind you the other two Proff’s were standing around talking with students ect.) “He just said “oh” turned around and said nothing. AWESOME, I love this man can I please take more classes with him.

Main Entry to Parliment


OK, now that I am done with my rant, on to the rest of the trip. We were then taken to the chambers where the Parliament was durng Apartheid, and where the decisions were made to abolish apartheid. There were some really interesting stories, particularly that of a man who was stabbed to death by a messanger of the courts because he was arguing for abolishing of Apartheid. They did not allow camera’s here but I did snap one “Westminster” style shot.

After this tour we were informed that we had been invited, as guests of Parliament (aka Thanks ALbie Sachs!) to view the President addressing Parliament.

What we got to see was an hours worth of what would equate to the State of the Union, in terms of  topic, it was his annual fiscal update and budget outline for the country. Much to my disbelief, many of my classmates AND Prof X were SLEEPING. Talk about rude. We left after an hour because “everyone” was bored…Seriously people we are listening to THE PRESIDENT of RSA speak, what is wrong with you. We again were not allowed pictures, but I snuck a shot here as well.
Outside Parliment Building


That night when I looked out the balcony, I noticed the clouds were AMAZING and we were going to have a really cool sunset. Jameelah and I walked from our hotel to the Waterfront  for dinner (this was when we actually ate and listened to the band – I am actually cooking most of my meals because I would rather spend my money doing fun things I can’t do in the US!) The walk took about an hour, but it was right on the ocean the entire way. I couldn’t capture how crazy cool the sunset really was, but here are some of my better attempts!

The water was  really, really COLD!!


 I love how you can see the dimensions of the coulds, as well as my refletion in the water.
 Who dosen't love a swingset, much less one on the ocean!
 I really like this picture of Jameelah, if you can belive it the colors were even more vivid in person!
OK, Im off to climb Lions Head! If the tide holds off I should have two days of shark diving this weekend! If not, I am reserved on the regular dives as well, so I should finally get some Scuba in! If hte weather is really bad and all dives get cancelled I will still have a wine and couryside tour with the group!