Sunday, June 12, 2011

Table Mountain - AMAZING


Today was AMAZING!! Jameelah and I climbed Table Mountain, which is located in the center of Cape  Town. The summit is at 1086 meters (3,563 ft) above sea level. We left from the hotel and drove up the hill which took us to about 900 feet and tackled the beast from there on foot. It was a really tough climb, think the worst part of Cameback (ya know where you have to climb the boulders!) for about 90%. We were basically doing lunges up about 60% of the mountain… I will not be able to walk tomorrow! Most people who go to the top take the cable car up the mountain but I wanted to get the real experience – I have a much greater appreciation of the views now! I just hope I can walk tomorrow!
About halfway up the mountain


Jameelah and I at the summit!
Awesome bird, just chillin on the pretty bushes (yep, I dont know the techincal names of much yet!)
 We were happy to be somewhere flat!
I thought "wow, what a cool rock I am going to climb out there and take a picture!" ...
The I looked down at what was literally about 2 feet away from me, as the rock was hanging over the side of the cliff... I couldn't get a great picture beuase I was a tad bit nervous but it was a stright drop about 1,000 meters down! This is the backside of the mountain where you can see the townships (subarbs) of CT
I took this Photo about 1/3 of hte way up, but thought it was intresting becuase it reminded me of the view from the TOP of Camelback, it also puts into perspecitive just how high we climbed

Once you reach the top of the mountain, Table mountain is very flat (hence the name TABLE) there is only about a 62 fott difference in height across the top, so it is very easy to get form one side to the other... as we were walking we ran into our little friend seen below. Jameelah made it over before she saw him, I on the other hand ran through the brush becuase I didnt want him near me.
Front side of the mountain, if you look you can see the FIFA World CUp stadium in the upper left corner. The city center (downtown) is hidden by my bum.
One the left you can see Lion's Head (for those of you paying attention, this was the mountain you can see form my balcony). I live on the other side of Lion's Head in an area called Sea Point. We are going to climb Lion's Head next Sunday
This is a view of Sea Point, my apartement is on the far far far (as in hidden by the mountain) right.
A special picture for my girlfriend... See I am thinking of you in Africa. They only had mini's but it still serves the purpose.(yes, that is champaigne, and yes I am drinking it out of the bottle)
This is a view of the cablecar that most people take up and down the mountain. I said NO WAY, then I did lunges for two hours and suddenly it looks like a maybe possibly doable way to get down the mountain. I DID IT - without a panic attack! Pretty impressive feat for a girl who is scared of esclators!