Saturday, July 2, 2011

Jackass Penguins - Boulders Beach, Simonstown



On Wednesday I got bored with comming home after class and doing nothing so I decided to take a little adventure. When I went Shark diving, the rest of the group when on a tour of the Cape Pensuila and Simons Town, which I obviously missed - but  I wanted to see the PENGUINS!!
Simons Town is about 1:30 min drive outside of Cape Town so I decided that this would be the perfect time to figure out the railsystem in Cape Town. I picked myself up a train map, and found that Simon's Town was actually the last stop on the southern train route - it only cost me 7.5Rand ($1.10USD) for a hour and 10 min train ride. The train was really neat, it wound right along hte ocean the entire way.


They wanted me to sit in first class, but I wasn't having paying more, so I sat in working class. It was pretty empty on the way there but entierly packed on the way back. Simon's Town is a working class fishing town, but a lot of the fisherman do not live in town, rather they live in Cape Town and commute via train. I left around 515 and the train was PACKED.

Main Harbour of Simon's Town

Fishing Boats in the harbour
Once I got into Simon's Town, I adventured around the town for a bit - there was not to much to see as it is a working fishing town, not really a tourist place. The RSA Navy has its main home in Smon's Town, there was a fairly large military presence, just from walking around I notced a lot of people with the Navy insigna on their clothing. After walking around town for about 45 min, I wanted to find what I had really come for - the PENGUINS!
Boulders Beach is about a 4km walk from town, but totally worth it! Boulders Beach is a sheltered cove between Simon's Town and Cape point that has become home to a colony of African (Jackass) Penguins. It is one of the few places in the world where you can observe the penguins at close range.
The African Penguin is an endangered species - of hte 1.5 million in the early 1900's only 10% remain today.  Their coloring is for protection while in the ocean - white on the belly for underwater predators (seals) who are looking up at them; black on top fr predators looking down on the water (gulls/birds).


Foxy Beach - the largest colony of African Penguins. A lot of the penguins were out fishing when I was there - I mainly saw the babies and teenagers on the beach.
 
The grouping in the middle is a group of babies. African Penguins are born with fur, they are unable to enter the water until they have shed ther fur. f you look closely you can see that some of these babies have started to shed the brown fir, and are showing some of their black skin.

Hi Big Boy! The penguins diet is made up of squid and shoal fish, which they used their seriously sharp beaks to catch.

This Lil Man was may favorite. He really wanted to go swimming, but then he just waddled around the water for quite a while...
I took a video of my favorite little guy wandering around the water - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeA4U6zzAxQ  - it suprising how small they were!

I am off to the Stormers Rugby match . . . CANT WAIT should be a fun blog post tomorrow!