Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chobe, Botswana


The day started off with a morning river cruise on the Chobe River, which has its origins in Angola. Unlike the Zambezi, the Chobe River had a rich variety of plant life and is home to the largest variety of bird’s in Southern Africa. The river is the main source of water for animals in the area, including those who live in Chobe National Park – so the cruise promised to give a wide variety of animal life. I will again let the pictures do the talking for what we saw on the trip, we did see African Fish Eagles and the African Skimmer, but I was unable to get pictures of these birds.
Well, I knew the name of the birds at the time, but I deff. dont anymore - oops!

Hippo's just hanging out on the reiver Bed. Where you can see the trees is the far side of the River - Nambia.


Buffalo


See, I dindt write down the name of this bird becuase I knew it hwen he said it... now I jsut keep thinking Crane - i know its not a Crane... or is it! Darn I really should have listened to my dad!

Elephant grazing in the river - giving him self a bath - or herself; so many thigns I should have written down!
After the Chobe River cruise, we headed to Chobe National Park, which covers 10,566 square meters. It is the largest borderless national park in Southern Africa. It is broken into four areas, Serondela with its lush plains and dense forests in the Chobe River area in the extreme north-east; the Savuti Marsh in the west; the Linyanti Swamps in the north-west the hot dry hinterland in between. The main thing the park is known for is the population of 120,000 elephants. The recommend 3-4 days to do the entire park and see all of the big 5, which we clearly did not have time for, Lions and Zebra are hard to find because they cover so much distance over short periods of time. We unfortunately did not see any kittays or zebra, but we saw a ton of elephants, giraffe, impala, emu, and kudu.

Entrance to Chobe National Park

School Boys on a fieldtrip - wouldnt have been fun to learn about animal life by seeing elephants in their natural habitat walk by!!!

"Momma slow down my legs are short, I cant keep up!"


The === (why can I not remember any names!) tree's are al killed by the elephants becuase the trees have soft park and provide the best nurishment - the elephants rub against the trees and slowly kill them over time until the trees have no bark protecton and can not hold water or nutrients.
This is by far my Fav photo of the whole trip thus far, its the same one that is on top.

Add caption
Pretty birdy!
Elephants grazing by the river, this picture is really cool when it is blown up and you can really see the elephants.

Hippo's hanging out on the water. If you look behind the standing three, you can see a row of 5 or 6 of them slepeing on the ground. There was an area with about 50 of them sleeping but it was to far away to get a good picture.

This was my little show off, the Youtube link is below
I never got sick of the elephants
But the giraffe is still my favorite!

Just hanging out with my elephants


 I uploaded a few quick videos from thesafari - dindt get any great ones becuase I was to busy soaking everything in:
Showoff Elephant - She loved the spotlight
Giraffe just hanging out

Tomorrow's update with be White Water rafting :) I suppose I should be studying for my IBT Final tomorrow - once that is done all I have left is a take home CCL and I am done!