Monday, July 18, 2011

White Water Rafting on the Zambezi River


I have been very bad about updating the blog, I think I will blame it on being busy?  I am actually in Greece now, but I want to get the last pictures from Africa posted before I start putting up Photos from Greece.  So, that  leaves me with the end of my trip to Victoria Falls… Here it goes!
White Water Rafting on the Zambezi River
In retrospect, I think this may have been my favorite part for the trip, I absolutely LOVED the rafting experience. To start the adventure, we had to climb down to the river – this was my one complaint, not that we had to do it, I did not mind, but that they didn’t tell us we would be literally climbing a mountain. I think a lot of people may have skip the trip had they known. .. oh well it was good for everyone to get some exercise right J The picture on the top of the page is a view of the river at the end of the trip, once we had climbed out of the gorge, it gives perspective to how far we had to climb in and out
Part of the Climb!

Let the fun begin, did I mention the climb was made much more fun by the life jackets, helemets and paddles we had to cary down
And we are off...

Our Crew - Team Rescue- to my right are Brooke and Erin, Jameelah is behind me. We were joined by three brothers from Germany to finish off the team



First set of rapids, we strated out wiht a class 3.5 - "Three Ugly Sisters"
I think this was "The Mother", but I am not possitive

Going into "suprise suprise" - we are about to go from 'raft 4' to 'team rescue'! Raf 3 was not padeling, the guide was in the middle with two massive oars and he did all the work for them. One of the girls in the back of the raft fell of and raft 3 could not turn around - she got taken down the other side of the rocks so we "back paddle, back paddle back paddle" up the rapid and went adn saved her - she got sucked into a mini whirlpool which we pulled her out of!

Just hanging out - not sure which rapid this either "washing machine" or "the terminator"
 
Apparently I saw the camera man...  "judgement day"

Going into "Oblivion" - grade 5


In the dpths of "Oblivion" .... AWESOME

Game face... I also love how Erin's helment was too big and is covering her face in every picture!


Lets go team rescue - heading into " The Last Straw"

Team Rescue taking a breather after another succesfully navigated rapid!

Jameelah and I - the strongest members of team rescue... HA!

Going for a ride on a "one night stand" I kept telling him I wanted to go for a swim so he let me on a small rapid.
Taking a break to walk around some of the rapids- the water level was a little to low os rockes were sticking out.

We made it - only 'eas rapids' left, a few class 3's that didnt even get a name. Our guide called them "no name no number" which Irenamed "one-night stand's"

 the walk out of the gorge... took about 45 min straight up!

I was going to make this blog post be the remainder of the trip then I realized how awesome white water rafting was so I decided to give it its own post… next will be Vic Falls and Boma Dinner.