Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The last of Africa... Victoria Falls, Boma Dinner

Victoria Falls, from the Zimbabwe side.
OK, I really need to get tehse pictures up - mainly so I can start showing off Greece, as I am currently on my first island - Naxos!  So here goes the rest of Africa... starting with Victoria Falls, the"problem" with the falls is that it is SO big that it is impossible to get in one picture.  The Falls are known as Mosi-oa-Tunya (The Smoke that Thunders) is one of the 7 wonders of the world, depending which list you are looking at. Although Vic Falls is not the highest or widest waterfall in the world, on a width of 1,708 metres (5,604 ft)and height of 108 metres (354 ft), forming the largest sheet of falling water in the world.  It gets the nickname The smoke that thunders becuase the spray from the falls is so high that from 10 miles away you can see "smoke" coming up from the falls - in actuallity it is the mist. The Pictures will do the rest of the talking!
Loving my "waterproofing"

There were three different waterfalls, this is a shot of the middle, both in size and location


The main falls, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get a good picture becuase no matter waht you did, even with panoramic photos, you couldnt get the whole thing. The only way is via helicopter and I did not want to spend 150USD for 12 min! One word of advice for anyone ever going to visit a waterfall - wearing jeans = awful idea!



Victoria Falls Bridge - connecting Zimbabwe and Zambia. Crazies go bungie jumping off this thing... NO THANKS!

Boma Dinner
Brooke and I headed to a Boma Dinner, a "traditional" African Dinner. The best wat to describe it was similar to a Hawaiian Luau, there was a buffet of "traditional" foods, although traditional foods are no what it commonly eaten by African now, and dancing. I am glad we went as I got to try a ton of new meats and even a worm, BUT my belly was NOT ok with the food. Brooke did not get sick, so I think it was the fact that I introduced a ton of new foods into my body that my stomach had never digested before. Lets just say the next 2 days were not shining moments in of my trip!

My daring plate going clockwise starting with the skewer -  Ostrich kabob (not a big fan, I wouldnt call it game but it was tough, I guess thats the best way to describe it) Warthog (really good - my favorite taste, but rather disturbing since they are mangy dirty looking animals that are ALL over the place! In retrospect I should have expeced it to be good, knowing my love for bacon!) Peanutbutter Rice (sweet, but good - cant eat to much thou.) Boweworts  (FOr some reaon I dont remember this one,must not have been good or bad!) Eland  (the only thing I spit out, it did not taste good at all!!) Marinated cRockadile (not a bad taste but really really chewy, I mean you jsut kept chewing and chewing and chewing... )
  
Meat selections - I did everything!

Boma Drink - made like a mojito using Lemmon, honey, some african booze that I couldnt place the taste, closest thing I could think was vodka, and a cinimon stick

My favorite part the pancake desert bar! I tried all of the different toppings (dont worry I only had two pancakes) which were: strawberries, reasbeeries, cinimon, a African desert yogurt, and banana's.

Grilling up my meats... I suppose this is a bit out of order!


I tried a Mopani Worm, thats right, I ate a worm! The tase it sefl really wasnt bad, it was the texture that got me. Crunchy on the outside, gooey inside... ucccky! As far as my attire, they made us weat the robe things, not to attractive if you ask me!

Welp, that is it for Africa! It was a great trip, a major learning experience for me, not just in regards to school, but as a person. I am really glad that I took the trip to Vic Falls area, it felt like “Africa”, where as Cape Town as great as it was is a major metropolitan city. If I had to name my favorite part of the trip thus far I think it would be the Safari – seeing elephants and giraffe outside a zoo setting was unreal. As far as adventures in Cape Town, I think it would be Table Mountain, it was breathtaking and the first place where I really felt comfortable with the city. I can’t leave out shark diving with great whites; the awesome 5rand taxi vans or the beach boardwalk – but Table Mountain takes the cake!

As far as my education, I will NEVER forget class with Justice Albie Sachs; although he has a completely different view of certain topics, he was the most captivating writer I have ever read and present his points in a way that made me not only listen but really reflect on his thoughts. I knew the whole time I was enjoying the class and forming my own views based upon what he was telling us, but it really hit me during the final how much I learned. It wasn’t like torts or crim where you had your rules – it was world views and general legal concepts. I am really proud of my final reflection paper on the class and reading it I can see a slight evolution in my thinking.  

OK – NOW its time for Greece!! Athens was AWEOMSE, and so far Naxos is great… but its time for me to go adventure the Island. I am going to rent a 4x4 to drive around… I really wanted to do a scooter or motorbike but I would also like to live to see the other Islands so a 4x4 seems safe! I’m off, I will get pictures up soon!!